Posted on Monday, July 18 2016 08:20:00 AM in 2016 by Jeremy Lehmann
This Week's Inspiration!
Look familiar? Yep, our obsession with the Easy Folded Poncho continues! This time, we've knit it up in a color-blocked version with Maya, a chainette blend of silky Pima cotton with just a touch of soft baby alpaca. This worsted weight yarn is surprisingly light and airy; we love it for it's touchable softness. It's perfect for warm weather accessories and garments -- and with the loads of colors we have to choose from, we can't wait to see the color combinations you'll come up with!
Romi Hill is coming to Haus!
Just a few spots remain! Join us Sunday, July 24th as we welcome designer Romi Hill. She'll be with us all day, teaching two classes -- check your schedules and call the shop to register for either one...or both! 615-354-1007
Silvermist Bath Set, Sunday, July 24th from 10-1, $45
Not only is this a great little gift item, but it's also a fantastic way to practice lace techniques and cast-ons. The washcloth (pictured below, knit in current store favorite Cestari Monticello, a linen/cotton blend) is knit from the center out to the edge, while the soap sack is knit from the bottom up. You'll learn two different methods of casting on (center cast-on and an invisible (figure 8) cast on...plus an introduction to lace knitting skills.
Lace Trunk Show & Discussion, Sunday, July 24th from 2-5, $45
A meet and greet presentation of Romi's many lace project samples along with a discussion of techniques, design inspiration and process. She'll have a lot of these projects on-hand for you to see and be inspired by.
A lifelong crafter and knitter, Romi is inspired by the natural surroundings in her corner of the world -- the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevadas in northern Nevada, where the high desert nights are cool and the air is clear and crisp. You can take a look at her full pattern collection on Ravelry, but we've decided to highlight a few of our favorites here, and we've managed to even get a few of these beauties on our needles in anticipation of her arrival.
- Moon Shadows - This generously-sized, semi-circular shawl is perfection
- Cactus Flower - We can't get enough of this combination of texture and lace
- Happenstance - Large enough to be wrapped around the shoulders, but light enough to be popped into a bag and brought out on a chilly evening
- Vertices - based on a modified log cabin design, choose one color or many to make it your own
- Simee Dimeh - this one uses the simple technique of mosaic stitches to create a shawl that only appears difficult! This one is on our needles now using Jill Draper Esopus
- Headlands - Again, the combination of texture and lace is extraordinary! Another one that is on our needles, this time using Baa Ram Ewe Titus
Free Needles...Always On Point!
Supporting your local yarn shop with both your presence and purchasing is vital in securing its status as a shared source of inspiration and community. As a "thank you" to all LYS supporters, skacel would like to give back a little something special. When you purchase three addi® Rocket circular needles at Haus of Yarn, skacel will send you one free addi® Rocket circular in your choice of size/length. There is no limit to the number of free needles you can earn, so start building your collection today! This promotion is limited to in-store purchases only, through your authorized skacel addi® dealer (which would be us!)
Here are the details:
- For every three addi® Rocket fixed circular needles you purchase inside a North American LYS, you will receive one FREE addi® Rocket fixed circular needle of your choice by mail.
- The three addi® Rocket circulars may be obtained at different times and through different brick and mortar shops (online purchases excluded), but must be purchased between June 15th, 2016 and November 15th, 2016 to qualify. All requests need to be postmarked by November 30th, 2016.
- The original, shop-generated sales receipt/s clearly itemizing your addi® Rocket purchases and prices paid, must be submitted for each of the three needles – a single receipt containing multiple needles is acceptable. When it's time to get your free needles, you can download the necessary form here.