Originally Published February 1, 2016
This Week's Inspiration: Valentine's Day
Y'all, it's already February! Valentine's Day will be here before you know it and we've put together a few lightning-fast suggestions for you this week.
- Why yes, yes we did make our sweet shop dog Stanley a hat for Valentine's Day! You'll find this adorable pattern (along with a multitude of others) here in the shop in the bookHats for Cats. Make one for your cat ... or if you have a dog who acts like a cat -- like Stanley -- make it for your pup! We have several copies of the book and knit our sample with Ewe Ewe's Wooly Worsted. Warning: We are so smitten with this book, you'll be seeing A LOT of these throughout the year.
- Nothing says "I Love You" more than an itty-bitty hand knit Valentine's Heart card. You'll need just a smidge of worsted weight yarn -- maybe use the leftovers of Ewe Ewe Wooly Worsted from the hat you just made for your cat! We've stocked up on cardstock and envelopes, so if you want to make just one card and don't want to have to go out and buy a gazillion, we've got you covered.
- These Heartfelt Rings are super easy and even quicker to make. We're guessing you don't have tons of feltable, fingering weight yarn lying about in your stash, so we made kits! Each kit will make two rings.
- Just arrived and perfect for Valentine's gift-giving come soap and lotion sets from the amazing folks over at Thistle Farms. A powerful community of women who have survived prostitution, trafficking and addiction, Thistle Farms employs over 50 women through social enterprises including a natural body care company. We've stocked up on these adorable soap and lotion sets that come packaged in a reusable linen pouch.
- We think this Be My Dishcloth, handknit in the most amazing organic cotton from Organico, pairs perfectly with the Thistle Farms soap & lotion sets. Wouldn't that combo be the sweetest gift!?
Berroco Winter KAL
Last week, Berroco announced a Winter Knit-Along over in the Berroco Lovers Ravelry Group. They have chosen two patterns, Helen and Ellen, both designed by Amy Christoffers. We couldn't resist playing along and have decided to knit Ellen, using Ultra Alpaca. Both sweaters are great projects to give colorwork a try. Plus, by joining in on the Knit-Along discussions, you'll be able to learn from each other in the group discussion thread. The Knit-Along begins February 8th, so you have plenty of time to pop in and select your yarn!
The Yearlong Knitalong: January and February...Still Chugging Along!
We know a ton of you are well underway and fast at work on January's Yearlong Knitalong project but it's not too late if you want to join in! We have designated The Wonderful Wallaby project as a two-month long Knitalong so there is plenty of time to jump in and join in the fun.
The Wonderful Wallaby is an adventure in seamless knitting. The efficient use of double point and circular needles eliminates seams and joining of component parts. The Wallaby is sized children 2 - 12; adult Petite (31" chest) - Super Size (48" chest). Not interested in making the Wonderful Wallaby? You can still join the Yearlong Knitalong with an afghan block pattern from the Haus of Yarn Block-a-Month Afghan book.
As a genuine 'thank you!' for your participation, all materials purchased at Haus of Yarn that relate directly to each month's knitalong will qualify for double stamps on our Haus of Yarn Reward Card. DOUBLE STAMPS! We really do appreciate your participation and want to encourage as many of you to make as many of the monthly projects as possible. Earning double stamps will make it that much easier!
Not local? No worries! Join the Yearlong Knitalong virtually. We'll be creating threads for each Knitalong project in our Ravelry group. Click here to join our group and come knit along with us!
We'd love to see your projects! In process or completed...if you're on Instagram, join in anytime with #yearlongknitalong and #hausofyarntn.
A Note from Christina, Organizer of Threads of Kindness: