The Yearlong Knitalong: July!
Join us in the store this Tuesday, July 5th, at 11am for the next installment of the Yearlong Knitalong. This month, we'll be working on Felted Clogs. These are fast and easy -- knit holding two strands of worsted weight yarn, they're designed to create a very thick, firm fabric when felted. They also feature double soles for extra comfort and longer wear. Consider yourself warned: they're slightly addictive! There's even a child's version of the pattern available!
Not interested in making clogs? You can still join the Yearlong Knitalong with an afghan block pattern from the Haus of Yarn Block-a-month Afghan Book.
Remember: attendance for Knitalong gatherings are always free! As a genuine "thank you!' for your participation. all materials purchased at Haus of Yarn that relate directly to each month's knitalong will qualify for double stamps on our Haus of Yarn Reward Card. Double Stamps! We really do appreciate your participation and want to encourage as many of you to make as many of the monthly projects as possible. Earning double stamps will make it that much easier!
Not local? No worries! Join the Yearlong Knitalong virtually. We'll be creating threads for each Knitalong project in our Ravelry group. When calling in those orders, we will kinda know you are a Yearlong Knitalong participant based on your order (we're smart that way!) but by all means, shout it from the mountain top that you are a Yearlong Knitalong Participant. We will be keeping and managing your Rewards Card (remember! Double Stamps!) for Yearlong Knitalong materials).
We'd love to see your projects! In process or completed...if you're on Instagram, join in anytime with #yearlongknitalong and #hausofyarntn.
Romi Hill is coming to Haus!
Join us Sunday, July 24th as we welcome designer Romi Hill. She'll be with us all day, teaching two classes -- check your schedules and call the shop to register (after the Independence Day holiday!) for either one...or both! 615-354-1007
Silvermist Bath Set, Sunday, July 24th from 10-1, $45
Not only is this a great little gift item, but it's also a fantastic way to practice lace techniques and cast-ons. The washcloth (pictured below, knit in current store favorite Cestari Monticello, a linen/cotton blend) is knit from the center out to the edge, while the soap sack is knit from the bottom up. You'll learn two different methods of casting on (center cast-on and an invisible (figure 8) cast on...plus an introduction to lace knitting skills.
Lace Trunk Show & Discussion, Sunday, July 24th from 2-5, $45
A meet and greet presentation of Romi's many lace project samples along with a discussion of techniques, design inspiration and process. She'll have a lot of these projects on-hand for you to see and be inspired by.
A lifelong crafter and knitter, Romi is inspired by the natural surroundings in her corner of the world -- the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevadas in northern Nevada, where the high desert nights are cool and the air is clear and crisp. You can take a look at her full pattern collection on Ravelry, but we've decided to highlight a few of our favorites here, and we've managed to even get a few of these beauties on our needles in anticipation of her arrival.
- Moon Shadows - This generously-sized, semi-circular shawl is perfection
- Cactus Flower - We can't get enough of this combination of texture and lace
- Happenstance - Large enough to be wrapped around the shoulders, but light enough to be popped into a bag and brought out on a chilly evening
- Vertices - based on a modified log cabin design, choose one color or many to make it your own
- Simee Dimeh - this one uses the simple technique of mosaic stitches to create a shawl that only appears difficult! This one is on our needles now using Jill Draper Esopus
- Headlands - Again, the combination of texture and lace is extraordinary! Another one that is on our needles, this time using Baa Ram Ewe Titus
Free Needles...Always On Point!
Supporting your local yarn shop with both your presence and purchasing is vital in securing its status as a shared source of inspiration and community. As a "thank you" to all LYS supporters, skacel would like to give back a little something special. When you purchase three addi® Rocket circular needles at Haus of Yarn, skacel will send you one free addi® Rocket circular in your choice of size/length. There is no limit to the number of free needles you can earn, so start building your collection today! This promotion is limited to in-store purchases only, through your authorized skacel addi® dealer (which would be us!)
Here are the details:
- For every three addi® Rocket fixed circular needles you purchase inside a North American LYS, you will receive one FREE addi® Rocket fixed circular needle of your choice by mail.
- The three addi® Rocket circulars may be obtained at different times and through different brick and mortar shops (online purchases excluded), but must be purchased between June 15th, 2016 and November 15th, 2016 to qualify. All requests need to be postmarked by November 30th, 2016.
- The original, shop-generated sales receipt/s clearly itemizing your addi® Rocket purchases and prices paid, must be submitted for each of the three needles – a single receipt containing multiple needles is acceptable. When it's time to get your free needles, you can download the necessary form here.